Providing a substantial contribution to the national economy by raising the living Standards, of the Agriculture production community by providing them with quality seeds.
The national Economy and Local food security assured, by improving seed quality and Implementing of rules & Regulations.
The Seed Certification Service of the Department of Agriculture was formally established in 1979 with the assistance of the Dutch Government Aid Program However the DOA has provided the service of Seed testing since 1958 during which year 1758 samples of Paddy were tested .A seed laboratory With an annual capacity of 5000 samples was established. at Peradeniya in 1970 Membership of International Seed Testing Association (ISTA) was obtained in 1974 Seed testing capabilities of DOA were further Strengthened in 1978 by building another laboratory at Maha Illuppallama while upgrading the existing laboratory at Peradeniya Two more laboratories at Bata Ata and Aluttarama commenced operation in 2000
The first Field inspection and certification activity commenced with rice in 1980 This service was expanded to pulses in 1983 and vegetable crops in 1984 Post control testing of these crops commenced at about the same time in four field assigned for the purpose at Gannoruwa PC 1, Gannoruwa PC 2, Maha Illuppallama and Sita Eliya. The SCS, over time, has established 16 regional units around the country to facilitate the field inspectorate. Distinctness, Uniformity and Stability (DUS) testing of new varieties an activity undertaken by the scs commenced in 1984.
© 2006 Department of Agriculture, Sri Lanka (DOASL), All rights reserved-Developed in association with ICTA.